2019 EBRD LITERATURE PRIZE LONGLIST ANNOUNCED. The Book of Whispers is included!
Last year the European Bank forReconstruction and Development launched their own literary prize. The prize recognises books written in any language from the EBRD country of operations that have been translated and published by a UK publisher. First prize is €20,000 which is split equally between the author and the translator. The inaugural winner was Istanbul Istanbul by Burhan Sönmez and translated from Turkish by Ümit Hussein.
The 2019 longlist has just been announcedand there is so many great books listed;
- Lala by Jacek Dehnel,translated by Antonia Lloyd-Jones (One World)
- Soviet Milk by NoraIkstena, translated by Margita Gaelitis (Peirene Press)
- The Devil’s Dance by HamidIsmailov, translated by Donald Rayfield (with John Farndon) (Tilted Axis Press)
- My Name is Adam by EliasKhoury, translated by Humphrey Davies (MacLehose Press)
- The Clash of Images byAbdelfattah Kilito, translated by Robyn Cresswell (Darf Publishers)
- The Peace Machine by ÖzgürMumcu, translated by Mark David Wyers (Pushkin Press)
- Drive your Plow by OlgaTokarczuk, translated by Antonia Lloyd-Jones (Fitzcarraldo Editions)
- The Aviator by EugeneVodolazkin, translated by Lisa C. Hayden (One World)
- The Book of Whispers byVarujan Vosganian, translated by Alastair Ian Blyth (Yale University Press)
- Shatila Stories by 9authors, translated by Nashwa Gowanlock (Peirene Press)